P.O. Box 903
Mancelona, MI 49659

SNAIL MAIL WELCOME ~ we love to hear from you!
No Internet...no fancy phone.


Saturday, June 25, 2011

Handwritten Sorrow

Yesterday, earlier in the day, our mail was retrieved at the local post office.  
After dinner, as the light was fading,
we settled in for the night, full and content.

I pulled out a letter from the small stack of mail.
 I was excited.  I had received a letter from a dear Amish lady, 
a young mother, who I have visited with on occasion over the years. 
Mary
wife of 
Levi

I had ordered two lambs this spring from Levi, but when Russ was injured, 
I wrote back and cancelled.
I hadn't heard from them since, 
but know they are busy on the farm and with family, 
so it was a surprise to get the letter, after the fact.


As I read the letter, I gasped.  
I exclaimed to Russ, who was sitting in the cabin across from me..."Yost died".
Upon saying the words and dropping the letter to my lap, 
both Russ and I were overcome with emotion for many minutes. 
Russ slowly got up from his chair to retrieve Kleenex for us, 
and we sat, in silence, soaking in the news. 

To add to the sadness, his younger sister, Anna, had drawn me a picture of a dog, 
which Mary so kindly included in the envelope.

A young boy, barely a teen, taken by cancer.
Here's his story, that I wrote 2 years ago:
And no, we never returned with the sled dogs.  
Nor did I mail him the book I had ordered for him, about sled dogs.  
It is sitting in the Wee House next to me on a chair, on my "to do" list.
In the back of my mind,
 I had planned on delivering it to Yost in person this spring, 
upon picking up the lambs,
 not realizing he had joined his Father in Heaven earlier in the winter.
Yost is now in Heaven with his mother. 
He entered Heaven the same day I retired.
And I look forward to seeing him someday...

Dear Heavenly Father, you are surrounded by such sweet children.  Your children.  It is only by your love that makes this pain tolerable.  Knowing they are comforted by you, gives peace to those who have seen their child leave this world, for their Heavenly home.  We know they will be safe until they are reunited with their loved ones.  
In Jesus name we pray.  Amen.

Until tomorrow, God willing.




10 comments:

mountain mama said...

yes, sad news indeed. i simply can't wait to get to heaven one day - oh the fun that will be had!!! :)

God bless~

Sherri B. said...

Sherry, this is so sad...I guess I never picture the Amish with cancer, how silly of me huh? I am sorry that you and Russ have this sadness right now. If I didn't have Jesus to walk with, there are so many things that I feel I could not bear.

Jane said...

So very sorry for your loss.

Farmchick said...

Really so sorry for your loss.

Josh said...

Good Afternoon Mrs. Sutherby,

I am so sorry for your loss. As Christ's followers, we have the hope that two Christians will never meet for the last time. What a wonderful day it will be when we are reunited with those who have gone on to be with the Lord.

God Bless,
Josh

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks everyone. I feel so bad for the family. Russ hadn't even met Yost, as he stays home when I make the trips south. However just the news, and knowing Yost was battling this ongoing cancer, and lost, was devastating to hear. I've been visiting this particular family unit for nearly two decades. The quilts I sell are from the grandmother. It's just so sad to lose a young child. But like you have pointed out, when you believe, you know you will meet again, and be reunited with all you have met and loved.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

It is sad news, and I'm so sorry...It is a reminder of how fragile and precious life is...

Grace said...

Our greatest reward is to meet our Heavenly Father and hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant." I have a feeling this young man heard just that statement.

I went to your original post about Yost, and I saw the comment I made two years ago. It is touching to see how you care for your neighbors.

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Fragile and precious indeed Kim. Grace...I love those words, and long to hear them myself when He decides the time. Thank you. I, too, saw that you had posted 2 years ago...it shows how you stick by your "Blog neighbors" too, via the Internet. Thank you both, for your comments.

Grammy Blick said...

Oh, the sadness of missed opportunities! Thank God for the gift of His son so that we know where we'll meet. My thoughts about a meeting spot come down to:

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
(Revelation 22:2 KJV)

Maybe we will meet there!