Wednesday, November 7, 2018

The Fisher


I grew up in a family of fishers.

This is my beloved Dad, Chuck, on the river, with pole in hand and pipe in mouth.

He had the perfect temperament for fishing...never riled.  Never in a hurry.

Always eager to dip a pole.  Or two...or three.


My Dad started fishing in his youth.  He loved it, and lived for it.

As he married and began to have a family, he shared his passion with his children.

When my older brother was young...


And when my youngest brother was older...


 And then there's me. 

His only daughter.

In the summer...


And in winter...


And as I grew older, 
he taught my offspring, 
eldest son Charlie {named after his Grampa}
 to be a 3rd generation "fisher".




My Dad enjoyed the fishing {and hunting} opportunities Michigan had to offer, 
especially living in a town on Lake Michigan.  
But he also enjoyed being dropped by bush plane into the wilds of Canada each spring.




Yes...even snow in spring...








To know my Dad was to love him.
He was active in our lakeside community, in many ways and facets.
He was perfection to me, as a father.

That is why it was so hard to fathom him leaving this earth at age 60,
a mere 6 weeks after a diagnosis of cancer.

To me, the loss was unfathomable.  The pain was raw.  Unending.

That was nearly 30 years ago.

Since then, I have looked to a different Father for comfort.  
One who will never leave me.  
One who calls men to be 
"Fishers of Men".  

The one True God.  
The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

I still have the treasured fishing pole of my youth.  
It is perched on the wall in my Bear's Den cabin.  
A Shakespeare "Back Country Special" with a model # 2052 reel.  

I don't use it any more...
but it reminds me of my Dad...and all the treasured adventures we shared.  

 Now...my mind goes to a different type of fishing.  
Jesus said:  "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."



My focus is now on the Living Water.  On following Jesus.  

May you also know the peace of doing so.

Until tomorrow, Lord willing.  I hope to see you here. 

Sherry


3 comments:

Dicky Bird said...

Oh I enjoyed this post! Loved the pictures and story. Wish I could have a piece of that pan fried fish - yum! Yes, our heavenly father has call us all to ministry where we go, daily he calls us fisher's of men for Him.

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Thank you Dicky Bird. It truly is a daily call...

boromax said...

Such a lovely tribute. The photos and the narration are a delight; and your conclusion of cosmic fishing is spot on. Well done.