Thursday, July 3, 2014

An Amish Summer



It happened slowly.

My life has gone from simple, to simpler.

In the last year I visited my Amish friend each month, sometimes more.  But then, without planning, I started visiting several times a month.

Now...I visit weekly, sharing my week between my rustic lifestyle on our small farm, and traveling to the Amish community I dearly love.

I have met new friends - friends who care deeply about God, family and community.  And me.

I feel so blessed to be able to live and worship among these new friends, living and visiting in their home(s), sharing their meals, assisting in chores and enjoying their company.  They are such a treasure to me, in guiding my walk with the Lord.

This 4th of July I will be with the Amish.  Traveling to a huge Amish Garage Sale with my dear Amish friends.  Later in the evening, I look forward to falling asleep with the sights and sounds of an Amish farm...no fireworks/but the night sky lit by fireflies.  No big bangs/just the whirr of the farm's windmill. The bleat of the sheep, the snort of the content horse as it night grazes.  This is my life.  Farm life.  Amish life.

I'm so fortunate to have a husband who shares me with another world.  It's a world not that different than what we have on our small farm, but the community is strong, and the worship is long and reverent.  I hunger for it - more than food itself.

I've shared so much of their lives.  It's too precious to detail in a public way.

I will continue writing, for now, albeit sparse as I'm not near Internet often.

Until then, find solace in His word.  Jesus loves you.  It's as simple as that...

Sherry




5 comments:

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

I'd say God has certainly put a call on your heart/life, Sherry!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

How wonderful and even enviable that you are finding peace, contentment and balance in your life.

Dicky Bird said...

"Draw close to me and I will draw close to thee." That is what this reminds me of. Blessings.

Simply Shelley said...

Your words speak of a beautifully blessed way......I am happy you have this experience. Thank you for sharing bits and pieces with us. I dream of such things.......continue to be blessed my friend

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks for checking in everyone. I truly appreciate your words.