Sunday, June 20, 2010

Our Founding Fathers

Today , on Father's Day, my mind wanders back a ways.


To my ancestors who arrived on the Mayflower. 



They were the Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie of their time.


Click above to read their story...and the Mayflower love triangle.


Tonight, as every day...I also think of my Dad. 

20+ years ago, in his prime, he left this earth with me by his side... in the same way he lived his life. 
With grace and dignity, fighting a losing 2-month battle with brain cancer. 

My summer days of youth were spent on this very Bay, Little Traverse Bay,
fishing and communing with my father, who was my best friend. 

The pain of loss lingers on, taking my breath away at times.  But I know we will be together again...
my earthly father, Chuck, and my Heavenly father, who will never leave me or never forsake me. 

Until tomorrow ~ God willing,

Woodswoman








4 comments:

Connie said...

You grew up by a beautiful bay. It is good to remember ... I, like you, am thankful for so many good memories.

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks Connie...good memories are a blessing. Yes, Little Traverse Bay is wonderful. I grew up on it, and when I was raising my two boys, we had a view of it high on a hill.

Marmee's Pantry said...

My heart goes out to you b/c I know how you feel. My Daddy died suddenly, ll yrs ago on June 3rd, of a brain aneurysm. I, too, was by my Daddy's side - holding his strong hand when the machines were turned off. It's unbelievable that he's been gone for 11 yrs. Can't wait to see him again!

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Amen Kim...Amen.