Sunday, July 9, 2017

Where I Lay My Head


And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of Man hath not where to lay his head.”  Luke 9:58
 
 

Checking in again, my friend.  My previous journal notes were from April.  I’m months behind, so I’ll try and catch up.  Before I do, I had a thought.  This cabin living can be done on any level.  If you dedicate a “prayer closet” in your home, you can make it comfortable.  Even with this cabin living, I’m keeping my supplies at a minimum.  I procured a “bear barrel” from the local resale.  {Nothing can get in this old-timey canner.}  But I’m being careful not to have too many distractions around me…food or otherwise, so I don’t lose focus on the reason I’m there – to study the Word of God.  However, nature always has a way of capturing my attention, if not on the 10 acres I’m on, then on the other 30 acres that the property entails.  Here’s a small sampling…
5/9/17
I’m filled with gratitude for 4 new bunnies at the main Wee House.  Grey/black/Blonde/Merle.  Later named Frosty, - , Pumpkin, and Snickers.  {Their “mama” is a big white Californian, and their “papa” is a big orange/copper rabbit (born here) who is called “copper bunny”.  They are both loose on the property, but live at the Wee House.}  The little black one was too daring/dancing/darling – and unfortunately met her end before she could be named.  That hurts the heart…to see them get to such an age, only to have the laws of nature come down upon them.  I believe it was a fox. 
The little black bunny wasn’t our only loss.  Our special rooster was taken out also, along with my favorite pure-white hen who faithfully gave us a blueish-green egg. 
This morning, as I stood and watched the white Mama rabbit fill its mouth with twigs, grasses, and leaves, I had to smile.  She was going to kindle soon – giving us another batch of newborn bunnies – in the woodpile next to the Wee House.  As I watched her, something caught the corner of my eye along the berm of our property to the east.  It was a huge healthy-looking fox…trotting with a purpose, coming closer, weaving in and out of brush.  He was headed for the area of the dog yard.  Hence…later that day, our remaining 3 hens were moved to a safer enclosure.  We also have 1 broody hen sitting on 5 eggs.  We hope one of those 5 eggs hatches out to become our new resident rooster.  This will keep a 4-generation line of roosters, starting with a beautiful and kind, Java rooster, who was eventually snatched just feet from the coop in broad daylight, by a coyote.  It causes a heavy -  living so close to nature.  There are times when I desire to cage them…to keep them safe.  But at what cost…?  Short life of freedom, or long life of bondage?  It’s a tough call.
5/10/17
End of the day. 5:00 p.m. at the cabin.  The Hermit Thrush and Pileated Woodpecker vie for air space.  One melodic.  One a banshee scream.  But both beautiful to my ears.  The crow also.  I love the crows…and they know it.
The woods are alive with greenery, bugs and beauty (no skeeters yet…)  I nearly stepped on an adult snake 2 days prior while cutting through the woods enroute to the cabin.
It has been cold, but sunny.  Today is warming up.  I’ve been sick, but now feeling a tad better, and hacking/coughing less.  Hauled the last of 12 cord of firewood to my new cabin home.  And my new icebox (you put a block of ice inside to keep food cold) was wrangled in the door.  Cabin now feels like home.
5/27/17 
Up very early.  Auction day in my community of friends (Old Order Amish) for a family who is moving to a new “daughter settlement”.  I will be leaving soon for the hour trip.  Upon looking out the back window of my 8x8 cabin, I do a “double take” as a big doe steps out and crosses across the back.  Wow…I didn’t even have to leave the cabin to view her!  Later, I saw tracks circling the cabin.  Lots of deer activity at this time. 
Earlier this morning, I curled my cold fingers around a cup of steaming coffee as I stepped from the woods into the sunlit field to warm myself in the morning sun.  I scanned about, looking for the deer that makes its presence daily.  Sure enough…I hear a foot stomp the ground in disgust.  {I must be interrupting HIS morning routine!}  He topped it off with several LOUD snorts to show his final word on the subject.  Hmmm…I had already received a scolding from the red squirrels in trees circling the cabin, as I exited.  Now I hear the caw of the crow announcing movement in the woods.  To balance this out, my ears are delighted with the sound of the Hermit thrushes singing their heavenly/harmonic melody, and more.  One calls, another answers.  And so it goes, up and down the scale of notes. 
Earlier, I found a young snake in the outhouse.  Hmmm…where is HIS mama, and slithering siblings?  I shudder at the thought, as I scooped him in a bucket and take him farther out into the woods to a new home.  As I leave for a busy day of friendship/food and good conversation with my Amish friends, I marvel at the “stimulai” I’ve already experienced this morning.  My new Berean Bush Living is anything but boring.  And the night hours provide even more curious investigations as I figure out my “visitor”. 
I’ll check in soon, with continued journal posts, should the Lord tarry,
Sherry

 

No comments: