P.O. Box 903
Mancelona, MI 49659

SNAIL MAIL WELCOME ~ we love to hear from you!
No Internet...no fancy phone.


Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Total Eclipse of the Heart

The lunar eclipse on the same day as the winter solstice.

Big doin's in the sky.



I woke at 2 a.m., on my own, and made a trip to the frosty outhouse. 
At that time, the moon was half eclipsed. 

I shrugged and stood outside for a few minutes in the nearly single digit cold,
wondering where the beautiful moonlight had gone. 

Quite frankly, I felt robbed. 

It was getting darker, and dreary. 

It was then I decided I wasn't a fan of the full moon eclipse. 
I love the full moon too much to give up any part...for any reason.
Wonderful things have happened in my life, during a full moon. 

I believe our 20+ sled dogs felt the same way.
As if on cue, they began a slow, mournful howl that carried into the night's sky. 
One I had never heard before and perhaps never will again. 
Sled dogs howl for many reasons. 
A "thank you howl" at the end of feeding. 
A "don't leave for work" howl. 
A "member of the pack died" howl. 
A "rainy day" howl. 
And last night, I heard a howl that mourned the loss of the full moon. 

The beautiful light, illuminating shimmering crystals of snow, was gone. 
In its place - darkness.




1 comment:

The Thundering Herd said...

I love your descriptions of the various howls. While my pack is much, much smaller, i love listening to their songs and have learned to tell the difference between tunes.

P.S. - The Herd was curled up in the house at the time of the eclipse, so I don't have a song for that.