Monday, February 8, 2010

Mushing Montage

Our weekends usually start with a bang ~ and end with a whimper. 
This weekend was no exception.


AC Ellen came over for some spins on our trails.  All her females were in standing heat, as were ours.


The youngest of the gals, Wakely.  Yep ~ her too.  Her first heat.


That made the team decisions easy.  Girls.  Boys.  But not together.


Leader, Chummer, smelled or heard our chickens in the pen to the left, but kept on trail.


Russ ran the boys.


Mandy P. came over and ran her new Alaskan boys, Baker and Chocolate, and "Meem", her Doberman. 


Teams were coming and going.


Flying down hills.


Churning up hills.


And lots of dog talk in between.


Mandy even experienced a 5-dog team.  Her first.


And stories were swapped.


Cross-country ski racer, Lynne Witte, also stopped by after the White Pine Stampede

She also happens to be a dog musher.  So, when in mushing country, do what mushers do...


And off she went with her team of talented girls, who were traveling with her.


Smiles were had by all at the end of the day...


BUT WAIT:  There's more...

I'm the only one who didn't take a team out.  And...I ended up with a trip to ER. 

Upon coming out of Malakai's circle...



I slipped on slick snow with ice peeking out.  It resulted in a banana peel fall that would rival the 3 Stooges. 

I felt my head crack as it hit the hard ground.  I knew I was in trouble.

A headache set in later that Saturday night.  Into the next day.  And the next.  

So today, Monday, I gave in and went in for a workover.  CT Scan, etc.

Good news.  No bleeds. 

However, even with a shot for pain, my headache continued.

Hopefully tomorrow it will be better.

And, to add insult to injury, my other arm got a tetanus shot.  

So, I've decided.  After breaking my fibula taking pictures of a dog sled a couple years ago, and now this, I'm going to run Iditarod.  Or perhaps even the Quest.  Why?  Because I'm convinced, I would do better on a dog sled than just being a handler with a camera.  

Naw...just thinking out loud.  I actually love being in the dog yard when the teams are on the trail. 

Someone has to be there with the furry ones who are waiting their turn.


Until tomorrow ~ God willing, (He is so great...my Heavenly Father.)

Woodswoman 


4 comments:

Harmony Barron said...

I hope you're feeling better Sherry! You take some awesome photos, makes you feel like you're there. What a winter wonderland you have. Be carful! Harmony Barron

D.K. Wall said...

Ouch - sorry about the head. The pictures, however, are lovely. Really love that last shot.

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Thanks for the nice comments Harmony and TH. As Harmony knows, it's probably easier to take a header than to prepare for and run the Iditarod. (She, along with her husband Jason, have run this race successfully and Jason will be at the start line in a couple weeks.) Now there's a spot I wish I could shoot some pics. ;)

Unknown said...

What a wonderful day that was! So glad you made it out of the ER OK, despite the splitting headache. Looking forward to next time! - Mandy